Stevia is known as Eupatorium rebaudianum, sweet leaf, honey leaf and sugar leaf, and sweet herb of Paraguay. It belongs to sunflower family. The leaves of this plant are good source of natural non-caloric sweetener which is sweeter than sugar. It can be used as sugar substitute and good for treatment of different health conditions. Locally consumed fresh or dried but later on, chemist extracted its sweet taste by isolating glycosides the sweet taste in the leaves.
The leaves of Stevia contain minerals, vitamins, and volatile oils that can give nutritional and medical properties. The Food and Drug Administration approved the use of Stevia which is safe for used in foods and beverages. It is used today as herbal supplements, foods, and beverages.
The big health benefits of Stevia that you can get from this plant are the treatment of different conditions.
- The antihypertensive properties of this plant can be a great help in hypertension, diabetes, chronic fatigue, indigestion, stomach upset, heartburn, weight loss, osteoporosis, bacterial infections and skin conditions due to cuts, wounds, rashes, wrinkles, and many others.
- Stevia concentrate can be beneficial to dandruff, dry scalp, dry and thin hair. With regular used of Stevia, your hair can be rejuvenated. Mix Stevia concentrates in your shampoo and wash normally. You can rinse after the shampoo using the stevia tea as conditioner for 5 minutes to retain natural hair color and strengths.
- In diabetes, Stevia stabilizes blood sugar levels, increases insulin resistance, promotes insulin production and discourages glucose absorption in the blood, as well as inhibits candidiasis-yeast infection that flourishes with sugar. It is also a great low carb, low sugar, and low calorie sugar alternative and the steviol lycosides is not metabolized by the body and is excreted in the urine not accumulating in the body. In the study also, Stevia also inhibits the craving for sweet and oily fatty foods.
- The antibacterial properties of Stevia may help those who suffer gingivitis, cavities, tooth decay, and mouth sores. The development and reproduction of infectious organisms in the gums and tooth can be suppressed and inhibit the growth of plaque an improved oral health.
- High blood pressure level can be lowered by drinking Stevia tea twice daily to stabilize the blood pressure levels. This may also help promote absorption of calcium in the body and help improve bone density.
- In the recent medical research, the lowint carbohydrates, calories, and sugar of Stevia can be beneficial in weight management. The preliminary research suggests that Stevia interfere with the functions of hypothalamus that may aid weight loss by curbing the hunger sensation.